What is The Overhang?
We are the Overhang an Indoor Climbing Wall in Tenby, Pembrokeshire. We are situated right on the award winning Castle Beach and are open all year round to the public. We offer instructor led sessions both on the wall and out on some of Pembrokeshire's beautiful coastal cliffs. It is great fun for kids, adults, groups and parties.
Why did we want to do this?
Climbing is becoming an increasingly popular sport, and we all just love it! Our passion is climbing and abseiling and all things vertical and we hope to be able to provide something that will inspire our locals to try something new, create a place for climbers to train and have fun, and be another great reason for tourists to come visit Tenby.
The Old Lifeboat House
We are so lucky to have an amazing location, situated right on Tenby's Castle Beach. The building itself was designed by Mr. W. T. Douglas and built in December 1895 by Mr. Williams Davies. Originally the Lifeboat House had a wooden slip that was 31 feet long but it has since been removed. It was decided by the RNLI that a new lifeboat house needed to be built, owing to the fact that launching of the lifeboat from this building was a complicated and costly affair and so on Thursday July 6th, 1905 at 15:30 hours the lifeboat was launched and headed to it's new station on Castle Hill just around the corner.
What's it like? See for yourself...
Meet the family...
- NAME: John & Helena Williams.
- WHO ARE YOU? We own & run The Overhang together.
- WHERE DID YOU 2 MEET? At school, next to a vending machine 🙂
- SINGLE or MARRIED? Married for 16 years! My, my how time flies when your having fun, ehem (winks).
- WHO'S BEEN CLIMBING THE LONGEST? John, since joining the Army and then "roped" (lol) me into it (Helena) Sorry couldn't help it.
- SO, WHO ARE THE MINI-ME'S? Isabelle, 10 & Joshua 7.
- CLIMBING STATUS: Isabelle loves an overhang and is learning to lead climb. Joshua is big on his bouldering and has NO FEAR!
- SUMMARY: We are as crazy as they come, love to climb, do things a little differently and work hard so we can play hard.